Assalamualaikum My Brothers And Sisters In Islam,
I want to draw some lessons for us all from the advice of Lukman ( Alaihissalam) on patience and its benefits to us.
The Importance of patience cannot be over emphasis in Islam and this was why Lukman AS in one of the numerous Advise to his Son stated the following as Quoted from the Quran.
“And bear with patience whatever befalls you, Verily These are some of the important commandments ordered by Allah with no exemption [Surah Luqman 31: 17]
Its Thus Clear that patience is a necessary factor in achieving success both in this world and the hereafter,
It is a distinctive traits of the Beloved Servant of Allah Subhanahu Wa Taala, the Messengers sent by Allah SWT were patient and that was why they were successful, Allah SWT Says About them thus that
“Verily(Many) Messengers were denied before you (Oh Muhammad ) but with patience they bore the denial, and they were hurt, Until Our Help reached them and none can Alter the words ( decisions ) Of Allah, surely there have reached you the information of the messengers( Before you )[ Al-An’aam 6:34]
Allah truly benefits the sincerely patient servant.
Patience is also thus divided into three.
- Patience in Obeying the commands of Allah
- Patience in Refraining from the prohibitions of Allah
- Patience During the times of trials
PATIENCE IN OBEYING ALLAH’S COMMANDS
Allah SWT made it clear in the following Quran verses as follows.
“Lord of the heavens and the earth and all that is in between so worship him( Alone) and be constant and patient in his worship”[Maryam 19:65]
“And Those who remained patient , seeking their lord’s countenance, perform Salat and spend out of which we have bestowed on them, secretly and openly, and defend evil with good, for such there is a good end”[Ar-Ra’ad 13:22]
Obeying the commands of Allah SWT is manifested in carrying out the basic tenets of Islam such as the following and many more.
- Timely Observance of All the 5 Obligatory daily prayers.
- Diligently Observance of fast during the months of Ramadan.
- Paying Of Zakkah on our possessions and wealth that qualifies.
- Observance Of Hajj when we can afford it( it’s not excusable that you waste money extravagantly on what you do not need and claim to not be able to afford Hajj, May Allah make it easy for us all)
- Patience in your observance of your Ibadah no matter how critical you environment is on you or how discomforting you are intentionally made to feel by those who do not want you to,and you knowing well that Allah's reward is far greater than whatever you suffer in doing so.
PATIENCE IN REFRAINING FROM THE PROHIBITIONS OF ALLAH
Allah SWT made it clear in the following Quran verses as follows
“And keep yourself ( oh Muhammad) patiently with those who call on your Lord( your companions who remember their Lord with glorification, praising in prayers and on other righteous deeds) morning and afternoon, seeking His face and let not your eyes overlook them, desiring the pomp and glitter of the life of this world, and obey him not whose head we have made heedless of Our remembrance, one who follows his own lust and whose affair ( deeds) have been lost [Al-Kahf 18: 28]
Refraining from prohibitions such as the following and many more.
- Committing Adultery and fornication.
- Consuming Alcohol and intoxicants( cigarette, shisha, etc.)
- Participating in Gambling.
- Consumption Of Interest Or participating in Interest based transactions( Loans, Insurance, Higher Purchase, Interest based Trades and so on )
- Stealing, Lying and giving false witness.
- Consuming the wealth/inheritance of Orphans or those whose possessions entrusted with us.
- Murder, disrespecting our parents and many much more other sins in Islam.
PATIENCE DURING THE TIMES OF TRIALS
“And We shall test you with something of fear, Hunger, loss of wealth , lives and fruits, but give glad tidings to the As-sabireen( The patient ones)[ Al-Baqarah 2:155]
And in a narration, Abu Sa’id and Abu Hurairah reported that the Prophet SAW said “Never is a believer stricken with a discomfort, an illness, an anxiety, a grief or a mental worry or even the pricking of a thorn but Allah will expiate his sins on account of his patience ”[Bukhari And Muslim]
This Hadith mentions the special Grace And Mercy of Allah SWT for the Muslims, it relates how Allah turn the hardship and troubles suffered by a Muslim into a means of expiation for his sins.
But this is only possible if the believer exercises patience, However if he starts wailing instead of showing patience, then besides suffering hardship, he would be deprived of the reward which lies in bearing them patiently.
Allah Subhanahu Wa Ta'ala also Says.
“O you who believe, Seek help in Patience and As-Salah( Prayer) Truly Allah is with the As-Sabireen( The Patient)[ Al- Baqarah 2: 153]”
May Allah make us from the patient so that He may be pleased with us and us with Him, may He give us the strength, wisdom and guidance towards being Obedient to his commands.
May He give us the wisdom to refrain and seek forgiveness and repentance from Him for our wrongful acts, make us steadfast and patient during the advent of His trials on us,
May he accept from us and make the last part of our lives the best, make the best of our deeds the last and make the best day the day that we meet Him.
May He forgive us our Sins, guide us right from the evil of insincere intentions and save us from misguided knowledge and grant us what is beneficial to us.
May he make us as patient as the Prophets and May His help reached us as it reached Them. AMEEN